Thursday, September 30, 2010

Songs of my childhood - the 60s & 70s

When I think back to when I was a kid, my senior year in High School (or thereabouts), or even a few years after that, basically, the 60s and 70s; I think of several things. Like, my girlfriend, who went to another High School, which was a far nicer, cooler, more interesting, and less dangerous crowd.

When I hear songs from back then a few make me think of those fair times.

The Beatles, Seattle August 25, 1966
  • The Beatles - who I saw with my sister in 1966 Their song set list
  • Ian Whitcomb (my first music album, traded a found High School ring to Tom Owens, singer for my brother's band The Barons; when he found out the deal, he was pretty upset with Tom for ripping off his little brother, but Tom, as Tom always was, smooth talked his way out of it)
  • Three Dog Night (who I saw with my HS gf, one of them anyway, actually the most important one
  • Donovan - who I saw years later with my first wife at the Paramount in Seattle.
  • Elton John - Honky Chateau (Cat name Hercules, Teenage Suicide, Honky Cat, etc.; Yellow Brick Road ("The things I could do with another man" what did Bernie Taupin mean by that? I asked a guy in my high school who was raving about the double album, I said I loved it too, but, what the heck? He just looked at me weird that I was blowing his "high" and he walked off and I stopped asking people and never got an answer till I heard Elton got married and quickly divorced, then came out gay which surprised no one); Mad Man Across the water.
  • Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman; Catch Bull at 4
  • Seals and Crofts
  • Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
  • Chicago
  • Black Sabbath
  • Emerson, Lake and Palmer
  • Pink Floyd
  • Led Zepplin
  • Jethro Tull
  • The Beatles - who I saw with my sister in 1966 Their song set list
  •  Arlo Guthrie - who years later I saw twice in two successive years at the Spokane Opera House
  • The Teaset - Ma Belle Ami

Then there were my 60's divergences like:

Glenn Gould - Bach Piano Fugues - I haven't been able to find this listed anywhere.
Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor by Bach and other organ pieces
Walter (now Wendy) Carlos and the Well Tempered Synthesizer and Switched on Bach
Morton Subotnik's The Wild Bull (synthesizer)

I was lucky, in the 60s, my older brother left me his albums and went traveling cross country on his Triumph motorcycle. He had been a guitar player in a band he started and so had some musical inclinations, aside from playing trumpet in marching band in High School (and being voted "Dreamboat of the year" by the local Rainbow Girls).

And so I learned about some really great bands and albums I never would have heard about from my friends. Such as:

The Band's Music from Big Pink
Frank Zappa and the Mother's of Invention
Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Ravi Shankar - Tablas and Rasas
Sandy Bull
Cream
Super Session - Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper and Stephen Stills
The Rolling Stones – 12 x 5
The Rolling Stones – Their Satanic Majesties Request 2000 Light Years From Home
The Kinks
Jimi Hendrix
The Byrds
Grateful Dead - who I eventually saw in Seattle at the Arena
The Grassroots - Let's Live For Today
Buffalo Springfield
Bob Dylan
Simon and Garfunkel
Jefferson Airplane
The Turtles
The Animals
Steppenwolf - Saw John Kay at the Seattle Colosseum

And about forty other albums. Its interesting that I used to know all these albums as they impacted my life since childhood, and now, today, I try to remember them, yet I hardly can.

Know what I mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment