Thursday, September 9, 2010

Facebook - If you have a business page, no personal page, REALLY?

Facebook kind of sucks. For one reason in particular.

I have had a Facebook page for our Aikido dojo for like a year or two now. I'm on the Board of Directors for this dojo, which is a not-for-profit 501(c)3 organization (and so all donations are tax deductible).

I haven't been able to get on my page there all week. I couldn't figure out what the problem was. I went through the usual process of being locked out. I emailed Facebook support; they were unusually unresponsive. I started reading through all the online help today, then I gathered what had happened.

At that point, I felt a blog coming on...so....

Apparently, they killed it because you cannot have two pages. If you create it properly like a business (which I admit, I didn't, I didn't even know about that), then you cannot also have a personal page. You cannot also have a personal page? How freaking stupid is that? Plus, only one person can admin your biz page.

How stupid is THAT? This is ridiculous.

The more I think about this the more it annoys me. Why?

Because, Facebook is saying that you cannot run two pages at a time? So, no one has a business AND a personal life? Really? If you run a business then you aren't allowed a personal life on Facebook?

Honestly, I don't get it. Especially, for my situation. First I don't know how they found out, though I wasn't trying to hide anything. It wouldn't let me use my normal email account so I had to use another, but I didn't know why, though it seemed to make sense of some sort at the time.

But if you are a good enough person (no consideration here for my esteemed self, mind you), to run a page out of the goodness of your heart for an organization that has the best in mind for its community, then I'm not allowed to have a personal page? I don't even get that in the least, how its bad having that situation.

Also, if you have a professional side, you can't have a personal page for your personal friends and family, like Facebook professes to be so much about; and have a separate page for your professional connections and perhaps, fans, as it might be?

OK, I'm still not absorbing this philosophy. I see this online all the time. It would also have been very nice if they had tried to contact me to work it out (professionally) and try to get me to understand, and fix what the issue might be.

So now the dojo is going to suffer for this, and really, I didn't do anything. Regardless of their "rules". IF they had reviewed the dojo page, nothing was being done underhanded and they could have just set it as a business page of some sort, or perhaps, in a community minded thought, they could have special pages for non-profits.

Gee, there's a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment