Saturday, November 19, 2011

Weekend Wise Words

Be Smart! Be Brilliant!

Quotes-wise, I seem to be focused on writing this week. Politically speaking....

My daughter is in Athens right now and there is so much going on over there. She just left Serbia and is happy to be warm again. But she is having a blast and along with her fellow travel and performer friends, and they are pretty astute about travel at nineteen / twenty.


My friend's mother was just pepper sprayed in Seattle this week by the police. Good one guys, I'm so sure an 84 year old woman and another who is pregnant, are real dangers to the community; and if you are out there doing things like this to protect me, well, knock it off. Good one guys. Or I should say, good two. I'm sure these protesters are trying in dealing with them, but you're paid to handle it and not attack citizens, especially the elderly and with child types.

And Mike's not very happy you pepper sprayed his mom. And you don't, want to make Mike mad (kidding, Mike's a good guy, but hey, they sprayed his MOM). He wants Anthony Michael Hall to play him in his Lifetime movie; who do you think will play his Activist Mom? Before you spray someone, maybe consider, PR, PC, and a few other acronyms.

Anyway, some quotes from some of my favorite authors....


I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams



A writer should say to himself, not, How can I get more money?, but How can I reach more readers (without lowering standards)? - Brian Aldiss

Rejection slips, or form letters, however tactfully phrased, are lacerations of the soul, if not quite inventions of the devil - but there is no way around them. - Isaac Asimov


There's no such thing as writer's block. That was invented by people in California who couldn't write.
- Terry Pratchett

I try to make the characters always contradicting themselves. - Woody Allen
Oh, I’ve stolen from the best. I mean I’ve stolen from Bergman. I’ve stolen from Groucho, I’ve stolen from Chaplin, I’ve stolen from Keaton, from Martha Graham, from Fellini. I mean I’m a shameless thief. - Woody Allen
The funniest human being in my lifetime, in any medium–whether it’s stand-up, television, theatre, prose, or movies–is S. J. Perelman. There is nobody funnier than S. J. Perelman. - Woody Allen


Never ever doubt in Magic. The purest honest thoughts come from children, ask any child if they believe in magic and they will tell you the truth. - Loren Eiseley


I have not been a success, and probably never will be. - Robert E. Howard (Author of Conan the Barbarian, and other writings. He committed suicide the night his mother was pronounced to soon be dead after her long fight against TB and being in a coma. Having written Westerns for a while by that time, he was just about to break out of the pulps and into true book publishing with A Gent from Bear Creek at the time of his death.)


The author must keep his mouth shut when his work starts to speak. - Frederich Nietzsche


It is advantageous to an author that his book should be attacked as well as praised. Fame is a shuttlecock. If it be struck at one end of the room, it will soon fall to the ground. To keep it up, it must be struck at both ends. - Samuel Johnson
...it will not always happen that the success of a poet is proportionate to his labor. - Samuel Johnson


Any magazine-cover hack can splash paint around wildly and call it a nightmare, or a witches Sabbath or a portrait of the devil; but only a great painter can make such a thing really scare or ring true. That's because only a real artist knows the anatomy of the terrible, or the physiology of fear. - H. P. Lovecraft



I have, indeed, no abhorrence of danger, except in its absolute effect - in terror. - Edgar Allan Poe

Were I called on to define, very briefly, the term Art, I should call it 'the reproduction of what the Senses perceive in Nature through the veil of the soul.' The mere imitation, however accurate, of what is in Nature, entitles no man to the sacred name of 'Artist.' - Edgar Allan Poe

Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. - Edgar Allan Poe






In science there is a dictum: don't add an experiment to an experiment. Don't make things unnecessarily complicated. In writing fiction, the more fantastic the tale, the plainer the prose should be. Don't ask your readers to admire your words when you want them to believe your story. - Ben Bova



People on the outside think there's something magical about writing, that you go up in the attic at midnight and cast the bones and come down in the morning with a story, but it isn't like that. You sit in back of the typewriter and you work, and that's all there is to it. - Harlan Ellison
Thank your readers and the critics who praise you, and then ignore them. Write for the most intelligent, wittiest, wisest audience in the universe: Write to please yourself. - Harlan Ellison


I try to create sympathy for my characters, then turn the monsters loose.
- Stephen King



[Horror fiction] shows us that the control we believe we have is purely illusory, and that every moment we teeter on chaos and oblivion. ― Clive Barker

No comments:

Post a Comment