Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Occupation of Wall Street


I had to hear about this from my daughter in Iceland?
As I watch the stream from New York, Susan Sarandon is there :
By time this comes out, she will be long gone but they are streaming now as I write this for eleven days so far.

I was using Skype video to talk with my daughter, as I said, in Iceland. She's leaving for Berlin tomorrow. But she was concerned about what she was seeing on the news and hearing from people where she is. She said that people from New York were leaving Iceland and headed back home because of the "occupation" that is going on. People are living in the park and there is support for them for living there.

I find it interesting that this is the first time I've heard about it. I live near Seattle and all I've heard about on the news lately is about Boeing.


A guy talking to Sarandon just said that it's difficult for them to put their message in one sentence. She said, "I know, that's why you're not on the news."

But she said, you have to find a way.

She has experience of her own for this kind of thing, protesting, getting arrested, etc., and was telling them what they should do, how to go about things, why you may want to get permits for marching.

They said in response they don't want to let the government know what and when they are doing things, but they are marching on the sidewalks and staying legal. That the reason they got in the news a week or so ago in the cops beating them up was that the cops just lost it.

Sarandon was asked by a CNBC reporter if she thinks there are problems with Wall Street. Trying not to laugh, she responded asking if he thought he couldn't ask that of anyone in America and get any other answer than, Yes. But that being said, she didn't think all companies were bad, she just couldn't think of any to hold up as a good example, then gave a smile.

This group also seem to be tied via internet to other groups in other places around the world. It would be nice if we could move past the "Arab Spring" and go further into the "Human Spring".

We live in interesting times.

No comments:

Post a Comment