Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day

I know, I give a lot of left turns (but hey, I'm not left, for right, so I'll say, I give an equal number of right turns too (okay, so maybe not, but I try to lean on rational rather than platform or agenda).

So I'm working on an article for the tenth anniversary of 9/11. I was originally tempted to put it on the Memorial Day blog, as in a way, it is interchangeable. But not really. And that would be kind of late, or way too early. Because anyway, that day really IS about those who have fallen, to remember them fondly in our thoughts, to celebrate their sacrifices and to appreciate what we have, what they fought and perhaps, fell for.

I know, this is about Labor Day, but a brief aside... (calling, Mr. Tangent, Please answer the red courtesy phone in the lobby....).


Please note that the upcoming 9/11 anniversary is about something else. People want to make it a memorial day, but that isn't very useful, is it. About that, I'll talk more on, well, 9/11. I mean, maybe we need to do it, but it's not the most effective thing we can be doing with our time.

Memorial Day is for our fallen heroes. That is really the day for 9/11. It has in fact, been officially set aside for that kind of thing. On that day, we should remember those who fell for our small incidents, not just the bride of the event, like WWII, or WWI. No, not even Korea, or Viet Nam. We also had smaller wars no one talks about. We've had every day heroes who have sacrificed, like our Fire Fighters, Police, Military, Espionage Officers who are our unnamed fallen heroes no one ever tends to think about or mention but I bet their families feel the sting every year. But I'll get to more about 9/11 in a few days. When it comes up.


Today, is Labor Day. I hope everyone is enjoying a day off and having a great time with friends and family, or whomever it is you choose to be with. We've been partying on this day since the first big Labor Day in the United States as observed on September 5, 1882, by the Central Labor Union of New York.


According to Wikipedia: " It became a federal holiday in 1894, when, following the deaths of a number of workers at the hands of the U.S. military and U.S. Marshals during the Pullman Strike, President Grover Cleveland reconciled with the labor movement. Fearing further conflict, legislation making Labor Day a national holiday was rushed through Congress unanimously and signed into law a mere six days after the end of the strike. The September date originally chosen by the CLU of New York and observed by many of the nation's trade unions for the past several years was selected rather than the more widespread International Workers' Day because Cleveland was concerned that observance of the latter would stir up negative emotions linked to the Haymarket Affair, which it had been observed to commemorate. All U.S. states, the District of Columbia, and the territories have made it a statutory holiday."

Okay, enough of the History lesson.

To most of us, for most of our lives, it was just that day before school started for the new school year. Many of us were sad, many happy at yet another holiday and maybe our parents would take us away to have our last short vacation before the misery of school started backup. Or we would attend some big picnic, or go camping, boating, whatever last vestige of fun we could have before the official last holiday of Summer was over.



The next great wonderful holiday would be, Halloween. But not yet Great Pumpkin.

Now, it seems to be just one more of a day off from work. Adulthood has settled in, my kids are raised and are off on their own now. For me, my birthday is August 30th and for years I have been taking a week off for that, rather than taking the day off. This year, I had a rough work summer and so I am taking two weeks off. I rode my bike a couple of hundred miles down to visit my son in Portland, Oregon. I had a great time. Taking my birthday off was something I started many years ago when I realized that I had never ever worked on my birthday. Even through the military and that one is hard to achieve. I was told that if possible, you could have off your birthday, or your anniversary. I was lucky, I always got both. So now, I try to take my birthday off (being single now you see).

So I usually end my birthday week off with Labor Day, which is great because then after a week off, my week back at work typically has four, rather than five days back at work. Nice to go back with a short work week in play.
Well, I'm not much into professional sports so...

Wikipedia also indicates that in "U.S. sports, Labor Day marks the beginning of the NFL and college football seasons. NCAA teams usually play their first games the week before Labor Day, with the NFL traditionally playing their first game the Thursday following Labor Day. The Southern 500 NASCAR auto race was held that day from 1950 to 1983 in Darlington, South Carolina. At Indianapolis, the National Hot Rod Association hold their finals to the U.S. Nationals drag race.

So, whatever your pleasure, I just hope you are enjoying your three day weekend. And know that I wish you and yours, all the best. Have a happy and healthy end to your Summer.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment