Saturday, July 16, 2011

Weekend Wise Words

Be Smart! Be Brilliant!

 Benjamin Franklin, had many good things to say. Franklin in fact, was the one who crosses out Jefferson's words, "These truths we find sacred" replacing the word "sacred" with "self-evident"; and that pretty much says it all about the orientation of the Founding Father's and separation of Church and State.

Here's some proof of many of the other good things Ben Franklin had to say:

“Content makes poor men rich; discontentment makes rich men poor.” 

“I have always thought that one man of tolerable abilities may work great changes, and accomplish great affairs among mankind, if he first forms a good plan, and, cutting off all amusements or other employments that would divert his attention, make the execution of that same plan his sole study and business.”

“Search others for their virtues, thyself for thy vices.”

“The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to an opponent, tolerance; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect; to all men, charity.”

“The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is a knowledge of our own ignorance.”

“For the want of a nail the shoe was lost, For the want of a shoe the horse was lost, For the want of a horse the rider was lost, For the want of a rider the battle was lost, For the want of a battle the kingdom was lost, And all for the want of a horse-shoe nail.”

“I conceive that the great part of the miseries of mankind are brought upon them by false estimates they have made of the value of things.”

“I confess that there are several parts of this Constitution which I do not at present approve, but I am not sure I shall never approve them. For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged by better information, or fuller consideration, to change opinions even on important subjects, which I once thought right, but found to be otherwise.”
 And finally....

“I wake up every morning at nine and grab for the morning paper. Then I look at the obituary page. If my name is not on it, I get up.”

No comments:

Post a Comment