Saturday, August 13, 2011

Weekend Wise Words

Be Smart! Be Brilliant!

Okay, this one is my WWW for real. Yesterday was about the Stock Market, how we relate to life and I think maybe today, this weekend that is, might be good for a few brave smart words on relationships.


"Having someone wonder where you are when you don't come home at night is a very old human need." Margaret Mead


Ella Wheeler Wilcox


"There's one sad truth in life I've found
While journeying east and west -
The only folks we really wound
Are those we love the best.
We flatter those we scarcely know,
We please the fleeting guest,
And deal full many a thoughtless blow
To those who love us best."
  Ella Wheeler Wilcox

 

"For lack of an occasional expression of love, a relationship strong at the seams can wear thin in the middle." Robert Brault

Stephen Levine

"If you were going to die soon and had only one phone call you could make, who would you call and what would you say?  And why are you waiting?" Stephen Levine


"Lust is easy.  Love is hard.  Like is most important." Carl Reiner


"To know when to go away and when to come closer is the key to any lasting relationship." Doménico Cieri Estra

“Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude.” William James

And today's final word comes from Tom....

Tom Robbins

“When we're incomplete, we're always searching for somebody to complete us. When, after a few years or a few months of a relationship, we find that we're still unfulfilled, we blame our partners and take up with somebody more promising. This can go on and on--series polygamy--until we admit that while a partner can add sweet dimensions to our lives, we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter.” Tom Robbins

Finally one of my favorite female writers ever:

Dorothy Parker
“In youth, it was a way I had,
To do my best to please.
And change, with every passing lad
To suit his theories.

But now I know the things I know
And do the things I do,
And if you do not like me so,
To hell, my love, with you.”
Dorothy Parker

3 comments:

  1. JZ, I'm flattered that you used my quote, but the photograph is certainly not me. Smiles, rb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, nutz! My sincerest apologies. I changed the photo. If you have a better one, please feel free to let me know and I would be happy to change it. Hopefully I got it right this time. Thanks for being such a smart guy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, so I did have a photo of Robert Brault, just the wrong one. Again, my apologies.

    ReplyDelete