Monday, March 25, 2024

Walkabout Thoughts #67

My thoughts, Stream of consciousness, rough and ready, while walking off long Covid and listening to podcasts…

Weather for the day… starting out, 51°. When I got home, 55°, with broken clouds. Great day for a walk.

Podcast Marc Maron's WTF ep with Eddie Pepitone

Always recognize your primary plan and prepare a Plan B. If you have a Plan B, consider a Plan C, and perhaps even a Plan D. Not everyone has a plan, so if you do, you’re already doing well. Having a backup plan puts you ahead of the game. The more backup plans you have, the more redundancy you build into your systems, which is beneficial. However, be mindful not to overburden yourself with too many contingencies.

Every system should have a backup. As a former parachute rigger in the Air Force, I learned the importance of this. I once inquired about the backup for the emergency parachute, having been a sport jumper with two chutes prior to my service. I was told that the airplane itself is the primary means of landing, and the emergency parachute is just that—an emergency option. Therefore, an additional backup for the emergency chute isn’t necessary.

I was also told a story about the only person who survived an emergency egress from a KC-135 Stratotanker—a crew chief who managed to escape by dropping head first down the ladder tube with a toolbox. However, he had forgotten to take a parachute, so effectively, no one has ever successfully used an emergency egress in flight. While such stories are often shared, it’s hard to distinguish between what’s true and what’s merely a tale."

On Marc Maron’s podcast, Eddie Pepitone mentioned that he had his Achilles tendon repaired years ago by a surgeon who also worked for the Seahawks. This reminded me of my own experience. Back in ‘88, I had my first knee surgery, and in 2000, the other knee was operated on by the Seahawks’ in-house surgeon. I trusted I was in good hands, having both procedures done at Seattle Surgery Services.

The last surgery was when I lived in Covington. I took the Bainbridge ferry to Seattle and decided to walk up the steep hill to the surgery center. I mentioned this to the nurse, who found it odd but okay. It was funny. She asked, "You walked up that hill, to have knee surgery? Okayyy..."

Around that time, my marriage ended in divorce. My ex-wife’s mother, who worked at a hospital in Covington, had recommended this surgeon, which was a kind gesture. Sadly, she and her husband have since passed away. I believe the surgeon had recently left the Seahawks, but I’m confident the care was still top-notch. Reflecting on these stories, I realize how they shape our experiences, even if some may be more legend than fact.

Eddie Pepitone mentioned on Marc Maron’s podcast that he had surgery in his 30s, and now at 65, he reflects on that time. I’m 68, so back in 2000 when I was 45, it seems I might have been treated by the new Seahawks doctor who succeeded my previous one.

It’s interesting how people are surprised by the ease with which one can get injured, like stepping off a curb and breaking an ankle. I had a similar experience when I heard a snap while walking on a flat sidewalk and ended up with a severe ankle sprain. Thankfully, it wasn’t broken.

During the podcast, Eddie Pepitone also shared a humorous anecdote about his phase of smoking Jasmine cigarettes, to which Marc Maron jokingly called him a coward, prompting laughter from both.

In the mid-80s, while working at Tower Video on Mercer Street in Seattle, I developed a fondness for French cigarettes, introduced to me by my then-girlfriend, who would later become my wife and eventually my ex-wife. She preferred the blue ones, while I was partial to the green. During that time, I also experimented with clove cigarettes, attracted by their aroma and the belief that they were somehow less harmful.

From the moment I started smoking weed in August 1974 in Phoenix, Arizona (introduced by my brother and his friend and neighbor just before my 16th birthday)...from the beginning my friends and I aimed to inhale what was as cool , moist and particle-free as possible. We found that joints didn’t compare to the potential of a bong. Nowadays, vaping seems to be a preferable option, as it involves inhaling vapor rather than smoke. However, it’s important to be cautious of vape filaments that can deteriorate and release particles if they burn, which is also detrimental to health. Ultimately, the healthiest choice being to avoid inhaling any heated substances or particulate matter altogether.

Reflecting on a comment about Eddie Pepitone being emotionally stunted, he humorously retorted that he seeks advice from 12-year-olds. This sparked a memory of my own childhood in the '60s when an adult sought my advice. Despite my initial hesitation, I obliged, and my input seemed to be well-received. Such interactions were not uncommon for me, even though my friends didn’t always understand me

During military service, I was recognized with a good conduct medal and numerous awards. I was also considered by my psychology department advisor professor to be among, as he pout it, "the top 10% of the top 10% of university psychology students nationwide, not by grades but by his observation—a claim I found flattering yet questionable. he was a distinguished Brown University graduate, taught psychology, in the awareness and reasoning division, and phenomenology. He wasn't easy and demanded a lot from us in his teachings, which extended to both my girlfriend and me, who lived with me at the time. She was incredibly intelligent, highly regarded by our peers, and I credit her with helping me through college—a sentiment she graciously reciprocated years later which I found rather humbling.

Eddie Pepitone shared an insight with Marc revealing that many of his stage characters are derived from his father’s ‘operatic rage’. This struck a chord with me, as my stepfather exhibited a similar intensity, though it was rooted in intimidation and mental abuse.

In a lighthearted moment, Pepitone mistakenly used ‘absurdum’ instead of ‘absurdism’, which Maron found fascinating. I also liked it. It sounded, familiar. They discussed how the digital age has led us to a state of ‘absurdum’, a playful take on the Latin phrase ‘reductio ad absurdum’, which means reducing something to absurdity. Maron confirmed that ‘absurdum’ is indeed a real word, adding a touch of humor to their conversation about the complexities of modern life.
 
I made it! 3.5 miles guaranteeing me for if I ever want to get home. Now I have a half mile to decide if I want to go for five or overdo it. Feel like I’m done. This is a good accomplishment.

I agree with the podcast and they’re saying that bullying is so prevalent nowadays. And it’s true. Donald Trump is nothing but a bully and a criminal. And people are attracted to him because he is a bully. They think it’s for other reasons many times, but that’s what it comes down to a that authoritarians are bullies and criminals and abusive. And narcissistic. Their main game plan is to cut others down to elevate themselves, and then reap the power theft.

They referenced the flat earth society as "flat earthers". I’ve always thought they were ridiculous. Unless it’s an absurdist philosophy or absurdist religion or maybe more so an absurdist science. I mean if they really believe it they’re foolish or at the worst they’re severely and probably selectively ignorant. Which is what MAGA is based on. That bullying. I mean, I created my own absurdist, religion, "PurpleIsm". If flat earthers our professing to believe that nonsense out of a desire to break the norms of society, I fully get THAT! But too many of them, take it too serious and try to act like it’s real and there’s people who actually believe them and buy into it, because they’re just not that, I don't know, bright or educated? There’s so much fake facts and disinformation today we really have to be more careful than we've had to be all through history.

This is good to address. The podcast mentions news filters and Maron said yes, it's set to panic as a default. And that’s so true today. My older brother thinks I’m a "Libtard" (I refuse to call him a "conservaRat" or a "RepubliCant" (or ""Cunt" in the British sense), or stoop to Trump level childish ad hominems, damn trump is immature, how anyone likes him is quite beyond the pale). Though I really don’t fit that definition. Why? I don't blindly accept beliefs, I have a long foundation proving my course both directions. He just grew up with his beliefs and reinforced them as it was fun. I've pushed hard to accept reality regardless of my beliefs or desires. Sucks often but better to put your life on the line for reality, that fantasies or conspiracies.


It’s stupid thing to say and he knows better, and I told him that and he sort of backed off. Too many Fox News viewers believe what they’re told. I tried watching Fox News. I just can’t do it, too many disingenuous lies and bullshit and fake facts and purposeful disinformation, and even passing along what Russia says. When I watch what I do enjoy watching, I can’t help it as I was trained this way… so that when they say something too far from the truth, I know it, I see it and, I either disbelieve them, or I take time to look it up. Whenever I’m gonna tell others, I take time to vet my information. 

Now, when you hear someone say "I do my own research" it’s a red light that they’re likely full of shit. If they do any research, if they research isn’t just listening to Fox News talking heads that is, they tend only to go down as I discovered because I’ve checked this, they only go down like one layer in vetting something. This information or misinformation checking is generally merely one or two layers deep. Any professional or trained researcher knows the old journalism triangulation method, which I hear is not really used today and allegedly sometimes for good reasons, and bad. 

But it’s a good note for most people to look for three desperate very different sources, preferably ones who would normally disagree with each other and try to prove what you believe... to be false. If you can’t then you’re on something. Going out to prove what you believe is true too often leads to confirmation bias. I would say 98% of what my brother tells me as ground shaking horrific conspiracy theory stuff takes me under five minutes, often about 30 seconds to disprove that’s some weak shit there.

Well anyway, that's it for today. I just stuck with the 4 miles. Next time hopefully, 5 miles! After I got home, the left ankle is sore. Damn, the older you get the less you can sit around. I heard on NPR today a study about people taking time often to move around during day. Results were people's attitudes and physicality were far better and many kept it up, with some having it change their life style for the better.

I wish you all great success and health! Until next time!

Cheers! Sláinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment