Tuesday, November 9, 2010

What is reasonable? Logic?

"If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."  - Sherlock Holmes

Just now, I was watching a movie. I saw a woman on it put headphones on, then start her portable CD player. I wondered, what the hell year was this film made? So, I picked up my remote and hit "Info" and nothing happened. I looked at my Tivo and when I hit a button, the response light lit. Hmmm.... What the--?

I played with it for a while, the remote that is. I removed the battery. Light on the Tivo player still worked in response. What? I thought.

Then I thought, well, the remote worked a little while ago. But, things break, right? So, now what?

I was at a loss. Then, I realized, if its not one video player, maybe its the other. So I looked at my BlueRay disk player that I get Netflicks though and sure enough, I wasn't watching Tivo, it was Netflicks.

And so, if I had paid attention to the possible, ("If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"), if I had just thought, just decided that the remote was recently working, so what if its ok? Then I would have realized, I was using the wrong remote. Which means, I thought I was watching the wrong video player. And I would have come to the conclusion that I needed to switch remotes to another, typically, Netflicks (the BlueRay player).

How much easier is life, when we play the logic game, accurately?

No comments:

Post a Comment